Namara Marketplace

Street Name Bank

Name Of Street

Want total control?

Request access to start using the data.

Area

Want total control?

Request access to start using the data.

Sub Area (If Applicable)

Want total control?

Request access to start using the data.

Meaning And History

Want total control?

Request access to start using the data.

Approved Date

Want total control?

Request access to start using the data.

Available For Use

Want total control?

Request access to start using the data.

Ben
Leith
from Ben Line Steamers. Founded in Leith by Thomson family in 1825. Moved south to Sunderland in 1902
Yes
Benhar
Portobello - Craigmillar
One of the mining companies from the area
Yes
Berdock
Almond
South Queensferry
South QueensferryÂs Burry Man is covered in burdocks
Yes
Burton
South West
from the local biscuit factory.Suggested by Forrester and St Augustine's High Schools
Yes
Campion
Portobello - Craigmillar
Friar Campion was the parish priest at St ThereasaÂs in the 60Âs for at least 6 years. He died in the 80Âs in Glasgow. Organised a youth Craigmillar pipe band and helped the scouts in the area. He was highly popular and did much outreach.
Yes
Cardiff
City Centre
This is the only capital city in the UK that has not been honoured by the City of Edinburgh.
Yes
Chestnut
Forth
Chestnut Street in Granton Harbour being demolished. The name could be reused. The Chestnut is a rock formation in the river Forth
Cornelius Waugh
Leith
Born in Leith and was Dux of Leith Academy. (Died 2009). He was a Leith Councillor from 1969 - 1995 for the progressives and then the Conservatives, serving for a time as Leader of Edinburgh District Council. He is also remembered as an active member of Leith Academicals Rugby CLub, Leith Franklin Cricket Club and Leith Rules Golof Society.
No - Future use subject to street naming criteria
Cottagefield
Almond
Cramond
From c1950 mapping (Site Currently Gamekeepers Road)
Yes
Dunkeld
Almond
Cramond
A tower-house in Cramond, probably built in the early 15th century, and part of a now-demolished larger establishment, was once a manor house of the Bishops of Dunkeld, of whose diocese Cramond was a part. It was made structurally sound and converted to a private dwelling in the 1980s.
Yes
Dunsappie
Craigentinny Duddingston
From an iron age fort on Arthur Seat overlooking Duddingston (and Dunsappie Loch)
Yes
Edrom
Craigentinny Duddingston
the Logans of Edrom, have a large enclosed burial-place in Restalrig Churchyard to-day.
Yes
Eduardo Paolozzi
Leith
Born in Leith , was a world renowned Pop artist. He was Her Majesty's sculptor in ordinary for Scotland from 1986 until his death in April 2005.
No - Future use subject to street naming criteria
Eldorado
Leith
From the dance hall /wrestling venue Eldorado Ballroom, Mill Lane/GreatJunction Street. Also the name of a fortified wine in the same ilk as Buckfast
Yes
Erskine
West Edinburgh
From Mary Erskine who donated 12,000 merks towards the Merchants Maiden hospital. The girls school by the same name is in Ravelston Dykes
Yes
Esparto
Leith
Ship coming into granton ? Esparto Grass was landed at Granton from North Africa and Egypt and was then transported to the paper Mills at Balerno, Currie and Achendinny.
Yes
Flanders
Leith
As a port, Leith had strong trading ties with Flanders in Belgium
Yes
Flockhart
Inverleith
Duncan, Flockhart & Co pharmaceutical chemists  they had a physic garden in the Warriston area. They produced the purified chloroform used by Dr Simpson in his first experiments with anaesthetics
Yes
Fordel
Pentlands
Little Fordell seems to have extended over the rising ground east of Redford Bridge, possibly including the Gallowlee)
Yes
Fortune
Liberton - Gilmerton
Robert Fortune 1813 Â 1880 Botanist and plant-hunter. He came to Edinburgh, working at Moredun before joining the Royal Botanical Garden in 1839
Yes
Friary
Portobello - Craigmillar
After St ThereasaÂs Church. The friary is the chapel house used by the Franciscan priests who run the church.
Yes
Fyfe
Leith
There was a FyfeÂs Place as a side name to Leith Walk at Pilrig until about 1888
Yes
Goodsir
Forth
John Goodsir (March 20, 1814-March 6, 1867) was a Scottish anatomist, born at Anstruther, Fife. His anatomical lectures were remarkable for their solid basis of fact. He died at Wardie, near Edinburgh, on the 6th of March 1867, in the same cottage in which his friend Edward Forbes died. He is buried in the Dean Cemetery.
Yes
Gowan
South Central
Architect. He is noted for building several villas in Edinburgh, including a home for himself, Rockville on Napier Road, although this was demolished in 1965. Gowans was also an early pioneer of good housing for workers, building worker's cottages and tenement blocks. Gowans is buried in Grange Cemetery in Edinburgh.
Yes
Jimmy Rutherford
Leith
From Nehaven and an International Brigadier who was captured twice by Franco's troops. He was murdered by a Fascist firing squad in Jarma Valley, Spain. The names of Robert Bridges and John Dalgleish both leithers who went to Spain with him and died at jarma, are also suggested.
Yes
John Crofton
South Central
Sir John Crofton, Achievements in the field of respiratory disease, most notably in relation to tuberculosis and smoking related lung cancer.
No - Future use subject to street naming criteria
Kaye
Almond
Ratho Station and Newbridge
Edinburgh District Board of Control commissioned Stewart Kaye, the architect of Bangour Village Asylum, to design a colony for Gogarburn to accommodate, ultimately 1,000 mentally handicapped people. The colony was designed as a small village, each house or block to take 50 patients under the supervision of a housekeeper. In 1929 the foundation stone of the new admin block was laid by the Duke of York.
Yes
Kemflet
Pentlands
Is shown in 1797 as a house and 19 acre fiels some 400 yards north west of Hatton House. The name is Scots kaim flat, the field below the kaim or ridge of the Craw Hill ( see below )
Yes
Laburnam
West Edinburgh
Corstorphine  Cottages in St JohnÂs Road were called Laburnum Row  demolished 1936 the name can be reused
Yes
Ludgate
Pentlands
Baird Road Ratho, which runs north-south through the village, was formerly known as ÂLudgate (or road to the church) being the road that connected the village to the church
Yes
Lurie
Portobello - Craigmillar
Craigmillar Doctor
Yes
MacKinnon
Almond
Kirkliston
In 1969 a new manufacturing plant for Drambuie opened just to the west of Kirkliston. This is a whisky liqueur including honey and other ingredients whose secret recipe was given by Bonnie Prince Charlie to a member of the MacKinnon family who had helped him after the Battle of Culloden.
Yes
Marnin
South West
Marnin Forrester is believed to be the founder of Clan Forrester.Suggested by Forrester and St Augustine's High Schools
Yes
Mission
Portobello - Craigmillar
From Niddrie Mission Church
Yes
Muirbank
Pentlands
The original name of Marchbank.
Yes
Peebles
Forth
Bruce Peebles Engineering , from Craigroyston Secondary School.
Yes
Price
South West
McVitie & Price (bakers of biscuits) started in Rose Street with Richard McVitie. Charles Price started out as a traveling salesman for Cadburys before he became a partner in the bakery business in 1988. Later in life he became a Liberal politician and then and MP. Then the company moved to Gorgie Road and finally ended up in Robertson Avenue. Bakers of at least two royal wedding cakes (including the current QueenÂs).
Yes
Princess Mary
Portobello - Craigmillar
Princess Mary opened the Niddrie Mains Housing Scheme in the 1930Âs
Yes
Queensferry Fair Queens
Almond
South Queensferry
Various - Contact Street Naming for details of names
Yes - Subject to Checks on Dates
Randall
Pentlands
Rev Thomas Randall bought Haltoun (or Hatton) House from Sir James Gibson-Craig, 1st baronet Riccarton
Yes
St Aidens
Portobello - Craigmillar
The Episcopalian Church that was along at the Hays
Yes
Steadfast
Leith
From the Boys Brigade motto "Sure and Steadfast"
Yes
Still House
Almond
Kirkliston
Names proposed by Kirkliston CC. These are suitable for the Old Distillery Site
Yes
Treverlen
Craigentinny Duddingston
The original name of Duddingston  it means the settlement by the lake of reeds. This later became DodinÂs village then Duddingston.
Yes
Trowell
Portobello - Craigmillar
Harry Trowell, community worker, activist, editor of local paper, photographer
No - More information required before use (subject to Street Naming Criteria)
Turnbull
South Central
A John Turnbull owned a large amount of property in the Newington area round about Lutton Place/Clerk Street
Yes
Watt
Pentlands
WattÂs snuff mill was in the Juniper Green area on the Water of Leith
Yes
Weir
South West
Old tower block name.Suggested by Forrester and St Augustine's High Schools
Yes
Wilkie
City Centre
Sir David Wilkie (1882-1938) was among the first of the new breed of professors of surgery appointed at a relatively young age to develop surgical research and undergraduate teaching. At the University of Edinburgh, he established a surgical research laboratory from which was to emerge a cohort of young surgical researchers destined to become the largest dynasty of surgical professors yet seen in the British Isles. He is widely regarded as the father of British academic surgery.
Yes
Winnie Black
Portobello - Craigmillar
Ex-Councillor.
No - More information required before use (subject to Street Naming Criteria)

Want to start using the data?

Namara offers a connection to over 250K data feeds from every industry and the tools to drive value and insight.